5 Benefits of Epoxy Coatings
What is Epoxy Coating?
Epoxy coating is a thick, protective material used to preserve carbon steel tanks from any exterior deterioration. Epoxy is created by polymerizing a mixture of two compounds, resin and hardener. Once the resin is mixed with a hardening catalyst, the curing process begins.
Epoxy coating is not only durable, but also resistant to many corrosive substances. Epoxies are a top choice for many industrial coating applications. They provide optimum protection against abrasion, turbulence, corrosive fluids and extreme temperatures.
Some of the many benefits of epoxy coatings include:
- Durability. Although Zwirner Equipment uses epoxy coating for carbon steel tanks, it is well known to be used for industrial concrete floors because of its extreme durability. Once epoxy cures, it becomes a hard finished surface. Most equipment manufacturers use a white enamel paint because it is cheaper. With enamel paint, you will have to repaint tanks much more often due to rust, and that includes tanks that reside indoors. Epoxy paint coatings will last approximately five years, even if the tank resides outdoors. To learn more about weather resistance, tune in to our next blog post!
- Non-Toxic. Do you love the earth? We do too! Not only is it the most durable, but epoxy coating is also an environmentally friendly choice. Due to epoxy’s high cohesion, fumes will not erode or dissolve into the environment including your air or traces of water. Additionally, recoating less frequently results in less chemicals being used overall.
- Cleanliness. Similar to other smooth surfaces, epoxy is very easy to keep clean. Most materials wash off easily and the hardness of the material makes permanent stains unlikely. We work with many food-related industries and it is critical for them to have the ability to keep their processing plant clean.
- Weather Resistance. Many processing tanks are placed outdoors, which can cause corrosion issues. With epoxy coating your tank will be able to withstand extreme temperatures, such as up 390 degrees Fahrenheit. It will also be water resistant. No need to dread the spring, with epoxy coating you will be covered!
- Impact Resistance. As we discussed in our previous post, epoxy paint is extremely strong and durable, which makes it impact resistant. This means that your coating will not crack, split or fracture on impact.
- Chemical Resistance. Chemical corrosion is common in industrial plants because harmful chemicals are often used for cleaning and machinery operation. An epoxy coating is ideal because it will protect your tank from these harsh chemicals. Don’t let an accidental spill or leak ruin the exterior coating of your tanks!
Storage tank corrosion can cause serious issues with production. Not only can it cause contamination, but can lead to massive destruction of a tank if left unaddressed. Zwirner Equipment Company is the only used equipment manufacturer to offer epoxy coating as a part of the reconditioning process for no additional charge.
There are many reasons why manufacturers and business owners choose epoxy coating for so many different applications. If your tanks are currently coated with enamel, you should consider the benefits above. For more information on getting your tanks coated with epoxy, call us at 615.680.3312.